Monday, June 4, 2012

Leaving SMS



image by Fredrik Wanergard

          I have been at my school, SMS, since preschool, and even before then my two older sisters attended here. St. Mary's is a place where everyone is friends and knows each other super well, because most of us have been together since we were five. Last year, in seventh grade I was really excited to leave and go to the high school. Now I realize that is not the case, because I've realized what a big role SMS has played in my life. St. Mary's has taught me that no matter what others think, I should stick to my faith and do the right thing. Our class might not have the best reputation, but I think over this last year we have really grown closer together. It will be so different at high school; I will miss walking down the hall and having me and Luke wink at each other (hahaha) and not seeing Kristen pulling her Pencil Pass down the hallway. An end will come to the times Ms. Grose asks how many cold lunches we have, even though we've had five in our class all year. There will be no more One Direction chats with Emma and Mya all day, or giving Brady thumbs up and a cheesy smile. I can't even count how many times this year me and Mrs. Slotsve have told each other "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" and had people ask "Wait you both have your birthday today?". How many times I have had to explain that no, it isn't either of our birthdays'. When is the next time that Alex or Noah will come up to talk to me at the high school. It's going to be so sad, but I always knew that this day to move on would come. Every since preschool I had looked forward to ELC, the 8th grade slideshow, our last SMS concert and May Crowning, leading my own track and field team, and finally Graduation. Now, there is only two more things to look forward to, because our days at St. Mary's are nearing their end. It's hard to think about going to school at a different place, talking to different people, and having teachers who we've possibly never even heard of. Because St. Mary's has never been strange or "new" to me. I feel like SMS is my home, and my classmates and teachers are all just my family. I'm so proud of grade, because it was like we were all dragging around our reputation like a shadow, but over the years it has cleared up. Even though we still have those moments here and there, we all have learned how to deal with it.It will be a challenge to start at a new school, but I think we are ready to move on and accept that challenge.

1 comment:

  1. I'M GONNA MISS YOU JEN!! LOVES YOU!! WE ARE GOING TO HANG THIS SUMMER AND WATCH SOME PRETTY LITTLE LIARS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete